You might not think you need a butane torch, but it can be highly useful around the home or if you’re a DIY enthusiast.
You can use your butane torch for a variety of different tasks and projects, which is why many people in your household will probably want to use it too.
What are common uses for butane torches?
You can use butane torches for cooking purposes, for plumbing work like sweating joints, and when making jewelry.
What’s great about butane torches is that they’re highly portable so you can take them with you when you go camping or need to do some DIY on the go. Here’s the best butane torch for your garage.
As you can see in the above table, none of the best butane torches that we’ve reviewed in this buying guide come with butane included.
This is actually a pretty common occurrence when purchasing butane torches online and the reason for it is for safety concerns. Transporting butane can be dangerous, which is why manufacturers of butane torches don’t usually send butane with the torches they provide.
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s dive into this buying guide of the best butane torch products you can find on the market, starting with one that ticks all the right boxes.
Best Butane Torch – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
Best Overall: BOSCH Dremel Flame Multi-Function Butane Torch
This Dremel butane torch has everything you need for a variety of applications. It’s the perfect torch to purchase when you want versatility.
- 9-piece accessory kit
- Detachable base
- Flame lock switch
- You don’t need to use an ignition tool with this torch, so you can use it easily. It’s therefore perfect for beginners.
- It comes with an accessory kit that contains nine pieces. These will enable you to do a variety of tasks with your butane torch, such as flame diffusing, heat blowing, and soldering. The nine accessories include a blower, deflector, soldering tip, flame diffuser, solder, sponge, wrench, tin, and storage case.
- This butane torch comes with a detachable base. This makes it easy for hands-free operation as well as cordless operation so you can make your butane torch more portable.
- It has flame control. You can adjust the temperature you need for the most convenient use of the torch.
- It comes with a flame lock switch. This helps to make your tasks go smoother and feel easier. This feature is perfect for long tasks that you’re choosing to do with hands-free operation, and it keeps you safe while you’re doing them.
- Some people who have purchased this butane torch have reported problems with the safety lock that engages whenever they release the lighter button.
- Other people have said that the torch doesn’t light up on the first try.
- People who have purchased this torch have reported that it’s small and compact, while being easier to control than other torches that they’ve owned.
- They’ve also said that it has excellent tank capacity. This butane torch comes with 42 ml capacity.
This butane torch comes with all the accessories you need to get your work done faster and has many safety features available so it’s perfect for beginners. It’s the type of butane torch that you’ll find many uses for around the home.
Runner Up: Zoocura Refillable Industrial Butane Torch
This industrial butane torch has many features that make it one of the most powerful torches on the market. If you want a butane torch that packs a punch, this is one to consider purchasing.
- Six-inch flame distance
- Double flame
- Non-leak design
- This butane torch has a double flame, so it’s really powerful. Best of all, it offers a continuous flame that can reach temperatures of 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The flame can be released up to distances of six inches. This feature makes it easier to control the flame where you want to use it.
- The torch comes with a strong and durable brass flame nozzle.
- One thing you definitely don’t want to have to deal with in a butane torch is leaking. This torch has a non-leak design so that you can even flip it over and not have to worry about it leaking or being a danger to people. It has a copper valve that closes tightly.
- It comes with a child safety lock so you don’t have to worry about it getting into the wrong hands.
- It has a 28-gram capacity, which enables you to use it for over 40 minutes on its high-burn time (2,500 degrees Fahrenheit). This is perfect for tasks that require continuous use of the torch.
- This torch is made out of high-quality, heavy-duty metal, so it’s sure to last you for a long time.
- It has a detachable base so that it won’t topple over when you place it on a surface.
- Some people have said that the igniter on this butane torch didn’t last.
- Others who have purchased this butane torch have reported that its double flame seems like a waste of gas.
- Despite its drawbacks, people who have purchased this butane torch have said it works well to heat objects evenly.
This butane torch is easy to use and doesn’t cost a lot of money. It’s packed with extra features that make it appealing along with safety features to ensure smooth operation.
Alternative: Kitchen Dynamix Professional culinary grade Kitchen TORCH
If you’re looking for a stylish and effective butane torch that you can use to take your cooking skills up a notch, this one by Kitchen Dynamix is the one for you. Let’s check it out.
- Fuel gauge
- Removable stand
- Adjustable flame
- This rose gold butane torch offers 2,700 degrees Fahrenheit of heat.
- It comes with a useful fuel gauge so you can always be sure of when it needs refilling.
- It has an adjustable flame so you can get the results you want. Being able to control the flame of your torch is important when using it for cooking purposes.
- You don’t have to be a qualified chef to be able to use and enjoy this butane torch. You can use it to caramelize your desserts, make roast veggies, melt cheese, and smoke cocktails, to mention just a few fun cooking tasks.
- It’s new and improved. Since May 2020, the manufacturer of this butane torch has reported that their previous defect rate of 3 percent has been improved so that it’s now at 0.5 percent.
- You have to strictly use long tip butane when refilling this torch. If you use shorter tips these could damage it.
- Some people have said that the process of filling this torch with butane is a bit tricky.
- Others have reported that you have to turn the knob to release the butane and then press the button to light it, which they saw as a waste of butane. It’s also worth mentioning that when you release the button the butane torch does not switch off. You have to turn the knob afterwards to ensure it’s off.
- This is a culinary butane torch, but it has many other uses. You can easily use this butane torch to solder jewelry, for example.
- People who have purchased this butane torch have reported that it comes with a handy removable stand.
This pretty, sleek, and stylish rose gold butane torch is a must for you if you want to use it in a variety of applications, such as for jewelry making or making your desserts look restaurant-quality. As a bonus, its stylish rose gold design is sure to look good wherever you store it.
Alternative: Sondiko Refillable Kitchen Butane Torch
Want the best mini butane torch for culinary work?
This one by Sondiko has some excellent features you’ll love. It’s packed with user-friendly and safety features, but it’s focused on being as practical as possible.
- Safety lock
- Long-angled nozzle
- Finger guard
- This butane torch contains a safety lock so you don’t have to worry about it being ignited accidentally.
- It has a wide base to keep it steady.
- This torch has been designed with a long-angled nozzle to make it easy to use.
- One of the best safety features of this torch is that it has a burn-free finger guard so you don’t have to worry about burning your hands on the flame.
- You can use any type of butane gas to fill this torch and it’s really easy to refill it, which makes it highly practical.
- It’s portable – it only weighs 9.6 ounces – so it’s the perfect butane torch to take with you on those camping trips with the family.
- Some people have reported that this butane torch only has 10 grams of capacity, requiring them to refill it continuously.
- Others have said that when they press the button to ignite the flame and then remove their finger, the button sticks and doesn’t turn off.
- This butane torch makes use of Piezo Ignition Technology. This means that you can use it at any angle – even upside-down! – to achieve the best results, whether you’re using it in the kitchen or for DIY jewelry.
- It comes with an adjustable temperature regulator.
- This torch can reach temperatures of up to 2,372 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is the best butane micro torch on the market. It handles the heat well and is portable, so you’ll be able to use it wherever you are – and with any kind of butane, which is a bonus.
Alternative: Iwatani International Culinary Butane Torch
Whether you’re a culinary professional or have a passion for cooking at home, you’ll love this culinary butane torch by Iwatani International. Here’s why it should be a staple in your kitchen.
- One-touch ignition
- Stabilizing plate
- Adjustable flame
- This butane torch is really easy to use, thanks to how it has one-touch Piezo ignition. You can also adjust its flame size.
- It comes with a stabilizing plate to keep it secure.
- This butane torch is supported by plastic feet, which people have said are too flimsy.
- People who have purchased this butane torch have remarked that it starts to experience color fade from the heat after a while, which makes the torch a bit unattractive, especially if you’re storing it on your kitchen counter.
- Drawbacks aside, this butane torch is ideal for a variety of uses in the kitchen, such as cooking veggies, glazing meats, melting cheese, and making a top-quality crème brûlée or meringue.
- You can adjust the flame that’s released by this butane torch, such as by spreading it wide or keeping it narrow, to ensure an even distribution of heat.
If you want a butane torch for the kitchen, this culinary one is worth purchasing, mainly as a result of its professional features.
Butane Torch FAQ
Ready to purchase a butane torch, whether for impromptu camping trips and BBQs or because you want to master the art of making crème brûlée crispy on top?
Read on to learn more about butane torches and how they work, as well as what you can use them for.
What is a butane torch used for?
A butane torch is a portable torch that’s best used for tasks such as soldering metals and drying wet materials, such as cement. You can also heat-shrink wiring and tubing, so it’s an ideal heat-releasing product that you should have in your garage workshop.
However, there are also creative uses for butane torches, such as when it comes to cooking. Some chefs will make use of butane torches to burn sugar on their desserts, and you’ve probably seen this on cooking shows.
You can also use a butane torch for dabbing. In fact, it’s been said that butane torches are better than propane torches for dabbing because of how butane doesn’t affect the smell or taste of marijuana.
Is a butane torch hotter than propane?
If you’re not sure if you should purchase a butane torch or propane torch, you’ll have to consider how hot they each get. The bottom line is that a butane torch is actually not as hot as a propane torch.
Propane can reach temperatures of approximately 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit, while butane torches will reach 2,400 degrees. This doesn’t mean that propane torches are better. You can get many tasks done with the temperature of a butane torch.
The amount of heat that’s released by a butane torch will allow you to melt soldering wire, for example, and it’s also perfect for brazing.
What happens if you put propane in a butane torch?
Although you might be tempted to put propane in a butane torch, this isn’t recommended. Torches that are built to be used with butane are built around that specific gas and butane gas burns at a lower temperature than propane.
In addition to that, propane has a lower boiling point, so a butane torch would not be able to safely contain that pressure. It’s just not worth testing it out!
It’s also worth remembering that some butane torches have specific instructions on the type of butane you must use to fill them.
For example, the Kitchen Dynamix butane torch that we featured in our list of reviews can only be filled with short tip butane. So, this is something to be aware of when purchasing a butane torch so that you don’t fill it with the wrong gas.
Is butane or propane better?
There are some important differences between butane and propane torches, not just when it comes to their maximum heat. These are important to know about when deciding which type of torch is better for you.
For starters, their design is different. Butane torches have a straight and open end which enables a full flame to be ignited, and you can use it to release either a low or high temperature flame, which makes it easy to use as well as versatile.
Propane torches, on the other hand, have a head that curves inwards so that you can use a more concentrated flame. While this works well when you’re using a flame on a close object, if you’re a bit further away from the object the temperature of the flame will be reduced.
When it comes to dabbing, you also need to ensure that you choose the right kind of torch. Butane experiences less pressure than propane, and this makes it safer to use.
It’s actually been said that you should only use butane for dabbing because of how it has been refined to remove harmful impurities. Just make sure the butane you use is of a high quality!
It’s clear to see that both butane and propane torches have their uses and benefits. Whichever one you choose will depend on what you need.
However, when it comes to butane and propane gas, it’s important to note that although propane creates more heat than butane, butane liquefies easier.
This makes it easier to contain. This, in turn, makes it beneficial to the environment. However, both butane and propane gas don’t have any negative effects on the planet in the long term.
What refills to buy?
As mentioned earlier in this FAQ section, you’ll need to check what type of butane gas your butane torch requires to work properly so that you purchase the correct one.
For example, the Kitchen Dynamix butane torch requires long tip butane as using short tip butane can cause damage to it.
Some butane torches allow you to use any butane in them, however, such as the Sondiko torch we featured in our reviews, which does make having such a butane torch much more convenient.
Some refillable butane torches are actually not refillable per se but you will attach new gas canisters onto them when they’re empty An example of this is with the Iwatani International butane torch in our reviews.
You can purchase refills for your butane torch on Amazon. Examples include the Ronson large lighter butane refills that can also be used for standard butane torches. It comes in a pack of two.
Having a butane torch is a must for the home as it can come in handy for a variety of applications, whether you want to use it in the kitchen, when making jewelry, or when you want to do some soldering in your garage workshop.
In this buying guide of the best butane torch for soldering and other purposes, we’ve looked at five of the best torches to purchase.
We’ve also answered some important questions you might have about butane torches in general to ensure that you use them in the best way so that they will last you a long time and help you complete your tasks faster.