It’s natural to feel that you don’t have enough space in your garage for all your items.
When it comes to your kayak or bike, it can be tricky to be able to store them so that they’re out of the way. That’s why a garage hoist can be highly useful to save space.
Can you use a garage hoist for various items?
There are many uses for garage hoists, such as lifting your kayak, bike, ladders, and other items in the home that take up floor space.
So, with that in mind, let’s check out the best garage hoist for your bike or kayak. We’ll also feature four alternatives to help you choose the safest and most user-friendly one for your needs and garage dimensions.
Best Garage Hoist – Reviews For 2021
Best For Kayaks: RAD Sportz 1004 Kayak Hoist Garage Storage
This is a practical and safe hoist to store your kayak. Let’s see why it’s the best garage hoist on our list.
- Durable straps
- Safety locks
- This kayak hoist comes with hooks that are coated with rubber so that they prevent scratches.
- It makes use of strong, durable straps so that your kayak won’t fall and get damaged.
- The last thing you need is to spend lots of time trying to install your kayak hoist, but this one is really easy to do. It mounts to your ceiling joist or rafter.
- This hoist can lift kayaks that are up to 125 pounds.
- It mounts to the ceiling, so it helps to free up space on your garage floor for other equipment or items that you need to keep indoors.
- The kayak hoist comes with safety locks that prevent the kayak from being released unintentionally. This is especially important if you’ve got other items or your car parked underneath the kayak as it will prevent accidents from occurring.
- It’s suitable for ceilings that are up to 12 feet in height.
- Some people who have purchased this kayak garage hoist have reported that the supplied rope was soft and susceptible to abrasion.
- Others have reported that the instructions provided with the garage hoist were not clear or easy to understand. This could especially be problematic if you’re installing a garage hoist for the first time.
- You get two hoists in a pack, and what’s great about this is that they’re versatile. You can use these for more than your kayak – use them to hang your canoe, bike, or even ladder.
This pack of two hoists cost $34.39. It’s focused on giving you an easy and versatile way to store your kayak as well as other items in the garage so that they can be protected from the elements and give you extra space.
Runner Up: Rad Sportz 1003 Kayak Lift Hoist For Garage
This lift hoist is similar to the previous product, but it does have some important differences to know about, such as when it comes to its price. Here’s everything you need to know.
- Safety locking mechanism
- Rubber coatings on hooks
- This hoist’s hooks have rubber coatings so that they are protected against scratches.
- Its straps are high-quality and engineered to be strong so that you don’t have to waste money on delicate hooks that don’t have a lot of weight capacity.
- This hoist can handle items that are up to 125 pounds in weight.
- Just like with the previous product we featured, this hoist can be used on ceilings that are up to 12 feet in height.
- It comes with a safety locking mechanism to prevent accidental release which can be dangerous to people within the vicinity and can cause damage to other items, like your car that you park underneath your canoe.
- People who have purchased this hoist have complained about the company’s poor customer service.
- Others have reported that the locking mechanism is difficult to use and when you lower the kayak on this hoist it can be difficult to ensure that it remains level.
- Others have said that they required a mounting board to install this hoist, which is not included in the purchase.
- It’s cheaper than the previous product we featured in this buying guide.
How much does it cost? This kayak and canoe lift hoist costs $24.46. It’s a cost-effective product that has great features, but it might not be for beginners, such as due to the fact that it can be a little complicated to set up.
Best For Bikes: RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist Garage Storage
This bike lift will ensure you keep your bike safe and out of the way. Here’s why it’s worth purchasing.
- RAD exclusive rope
- Locking system
- It has rubber-coated hooks so that your valuable bike won’t get scuffed and scratched.
- It has a decent weight capacity of 100 pounds.
- Just like with the kayak hoists we’ve featured in our buying guide, this hoist can be attached to ceilings that are up to 12 feet high.
- Two hoists are included in the pack, and these can be used for a variety of items, such as bikes, storage nets, and benches.
- These hoists come with RAD Cycles exclusive rope. This is thick rope that is resistant to fraying, which makes it much more durable as well as safer for storing your bike in the garage than regular rope.
- Some people who purchased these hoists reported that the ropes left a tint on their hands.
- You have to thread the rope through the locking system, but some people who purchased these hoists reported that the instructions included weren’t clear on how to do this.
- The screws that are provided in the pack are not strong enough, and several reviews on Amazon mention this.
- This hoist makes use of latches and smooth pulleys so you don’t have to feel the pressure of trying to lift a heavy bike.
- The rope has a locking system in place so you don’t have to worry about it being released accidentally and hurting someone.
This bike hoist for your garage costs $28.32 for a pack of two, so it’s certainly value for money. It will get the job done with ease so you can get on with other tasks.
Runner Up: RAD Cycle Bike and Ladder Lift
Some garage hoists for bikes and other equipment require mounting boards, but this one doesn’t. That’s just one of the reasons why it’s so convenient. Let’s check out its other features.
- Heavy-grade aluminum
- Easy-to-use mount rail
- This hoist has a weight capacity of 75 pounds, so it’s got more than enough capacity.
- It comes with an easy mount rail that enables you to install it to your ceiling joist directly. You don’t need to purchase a mounting board separately, therefore saving you money.
- It has a locking mechanism to keep it – and you – safe.
- It’s really easy to use, thanks to how the rail mount system is adjustable and can lift and lower your bike easily.
- You can mount the system in a horizontal or vertical position to the ceiling joists, which makes it much more versatile. This is a feature you won’t find on many other hoists.
- There is spacing between the hooks which makes the system adjustable. It also means the same hoist can be used for bikes of different sizes.
- The hoist is constructed out of heavy-grade aluminum so it’s durable and won’t rust.
- People who purchased this bike hoist reported that the screws provided in the pack were not of a good quality and had to be replaced for stronger ones.
- Just like with other garage hoists we’ve featured in these reviews, this one comes with rubber hooks so you don’t have to worry about your items getting damaged.
- You can use this for storing your bikes and ladders, which makes it very practical.
This bike hoist costs $33.70. It’s easy on the wallet and easy to use, filled with lots of features that set it apart from other kayak and bike hoists on the market.
Alternative: HARKEN Cargo Box Garage Storage Hoist
If you’re looking for a garage hoist that can handle more weight, this one by Harken is worth checking out.
- Four-point hoist kit
- Self-locking mechanism
- This produce is made in the USA and has been designed to accommodate 145 pounds of weight. It can also be used for ceilings that are up to 10 meters high.
- It’s been designed so that one person can use it.
- It’s a four-point hoist kit that has all the instructions you need to install it quickly and easily.
- It has self-locking cleat grips so that if the rope gets released by accident, they will work immediately to keep you safe.
- This hoist is made out of stainless steel. It’s got a double-braid rope for extra strength.
- It’s perfect for when you’ve transported your bike or kayak on your car’s rooftop and want to unload it in your garage.
- Some people who purchased this hoist reported that it takes a while to set it up. It’s not beginner friendly, so you should only invest in this product if you’re good with DIY.
- People who have purchased this hoist have reported that the user manual is extremely detailed and easy to follow, which makes installation a little easier.
This hoist is a little more complicated, but if you’re good with DIY and don’t mind learning as you go along this will definitely not disappoint you. It costs $145.99 but it makes storing items in your garage much more convenient.
Garage Hoist FAQ
We’ve already looked at five of the best garage hoist products you can purchase right now from Amazon, but before you go ahead and add one of them to your cart make sure you read these frequently asked questions about garage hoists so you can see if they’re worth it.
Can I put a hoist in my garage?
Generally, your garage should be able to accommodate a hoist. Standard ceiling joists will be able to support about 50 pounds of weight per square foot. If you have trusses or your garage was constructed a long time ago, this amount could be a lot lower.
The height of your garage ceiling also matters. As we’ve seen in this buying guide of the best garage hoist reviews, different hoists are designed for ceilings of different heights so it’s essential that your garage has the height to accommodate the hoist you want to use on it. Always check the product’s specifications!
It’s important to ensure that your garage ceiling has solid joints to which you could secure the kayak or bike hoist. Some hoists will state that you need to attach them to solid wood hoists and the hoists will have to be a certain measurement, such as 2 inches by 4 inches in size.
Finally, you need to ensure that you have enough wall clearance for the hoist and object it will be supporting.
Measure your kayak and when you’ve found a spot in the garage that can accommodate that size, be sure to add about five or more inches to it so that there will be enough space around it. Don’t forget to check that there’s enough space for your garage doors to open and close.
How do you hang a garage hoist?
If you have a bike or kayak hoist that you want to install in your garage, it’s actually really easy to hang it up. While the instructions will vary from one manufacturer to another, there are some general tips to consider.
- You’ll have to determine the correct distance between the straps of the kayak hoist. This will obviously depend on the kayak you want to hoist. You should have less space between the straps if your kayak is short, while more space is ideal for longer kayaks. This is important to ensure that your kayak will be balanced.
- Some kayak hoists will require you to mount the hoist onto a mounting board and sometimes these are not included with the hoist, so that’s something to check before you purchase it. You’ll need to attach the kayak hoist to the mounting board before it gets attached to the ceiling joist.
- Use the wood screws that are provided with the hoist to attach the mounting brackets to the mounting board.
- Make a mark in the center of the board and the center point on the ceiling where the hoist will go. You will then attach the hoist and board to the ceiling with lag bolts. Just ensure that the lag bolt is centered on the joist. Sometimes the lag bolts won’t be included with your kayak hoist, so you might require a trip to the hardware store!
- Once you’ve got your brackets and mounting board on the ceiling, you’ll have to thread the rope through the hoist pulley system. Thread the rope through the brake device and follow the route of the thread. How you do this will vary from one manufacturer to another so always read the instruction manual.
How do I build a garage ceiling hoist?
If you’re good at DIY and love a bit of a challenge, you can make your own ceiling hoist with this simple tutorial via Hunker.
Items you’ll need:
- Drill and bit
- Screw-in hooks
- Find two cross beams on your ceiling that are strong enough for you to install two screw-in hooks.
- With your drill, make a pilot hole in the beams – you should use a drill bit that’s a bit smaller than the size of your hooks.
- Install the hooks into the ceiling so that they’re flush with its surface. You might need pliers for this one.
- Now you’ll need to hang a single pulley on one hook and your double pulley on the other one.
- Take small-diameter rope and thread its end through one side of the double pulley. Pull it down so you’re able to reach it.
- Then, push the rope through the single pulley. You want the eye on the top of the pulley to be on the bottom so you can attach a carabiner to the eye.
- The end of the rope should then be pulled up and through your double pulley, then pulled across to the single pulley.
- You basically want to feed the rope through the single pulley that’s suspended from the hook. You’ll need to ensure you have about a foot’s worth of rope that you can pull down past the pulley.
- Create a loop with the rope a few inches from its end and tie a simple overhand knot to ensure that the loop is fastened. You will then attach the carabiner to this loop.
- Now you can go ahead and attach your carabiner to your kayak or bike.
- Once that’s done, you can pull the rope through the pulley hoist to lift the object.
Why should you opt for an electric hoist?
There are many benefits of choosing an electric hoist. These include the following:
- If you need to lift heavy or awkwardly-shaped objects, an electric hoist will be able to do it quickly.
- It prevents you from having to use your physical strength to move the objects yourself. This is especially useful if the items you want to move are heavy or you’re not fit.
- It allows you to move objects vertically as well as horizontally. This is important because some hoists will only enable you to move them vertically. By using an electric hoist, you won’t have to make use of more than one machine in order to move your load in the way you want.
- It produces less noise as compared to other types of hoists, such as manual and hydraulic hoists.
If you own a kayak or bike you want to keep out of the way, installing a hoist in the garage can be the perfect solution to save you space and keep your possessions stored safely.
In this article, we’ve looked at the best garage hoist for your bike or kayak, along with four alternatives.
We’ve also featured some important information you need about garage hoists and have even included tips on how you can make one yourself if you’d prefer to go the DIY route and you’re good with your hands.